I’ve been wondering about recent activities by Apple and Tableau.
- IBM announced on July 15 a major partnership to sell Apple products. It caught my attention that 5.3% of Tim Cook’s internal memo was about “big data analytics” (used the phrase 4 times out of 226 words).
- Tableau announced just weeks earlier, release 8.2 which runs Tableau Desktop on the Mac OS.
- Coincidence? Apple and Tableau kick off their respective annual conferences on September 9.
I expect a well-timed announcement by both companies that Apple is acquiring Tableau. Think of the impact.
- Apple has IBM selling the leading analytics software to customers worldwide
- Apple reduces the price of Tableau Server to increase penetration — Tableau’s money-maker
- Apple includes Tableau Desktop on all new computers as a core application — not Tableau’s money-maker
- Apple releases Tableau for iPad and now supports iPhone — who doesn’t want that!
Please share your thoughts on this potential deal and if you want it to happen.